Sunday, February 2, 2014

Rare Yoruba Dishes





Inline images 1
Abari




























I had the rare opportunity of living with my grand mum for a few years as a young girl, and I saw her prepare so many unique dishes-some of which I have not tasted since then-let's say over thirty years. Ohh... that's a long time ago. Well she passed on fourteen years ago. I still remember her with nostalgia and I hope I would be able to bring back all those dishes, with a different touch. Are you Yoruba or are you omo iya agba (did you grow up with your grandma), i mean the grass root grandmothers  o, then you should remember soups like Ila alasepo,Orunla, Isapa soup (mostly eaten in Ekiti during festive period),Gbegiri and ewedu. Food like Egbo (made from fry corn), Otili (lentils), Ekuru(made from beans) and Eko, Abari(from corn) etc.

The Yoruba have different and rare delicacies with unique taste. Keep the comments rolling and let's know what your grand mum cooked in those days. We would appreciate the recipes. I can't wait... I could perceive the aroma already.



No comments:

Post a Comment